Corofin topple Lissycasey to book Quarter Final spot in Senior Football Championship

posted 17 Sept 2018, 13:20 by Brian Gillespie   [ updated 17 Sept 2018, 14:43 ]

Senior Football Championship, Round 3

Corofin 2-9  Lissycasey 1-9   

September 15th, 2018

Corofin defied the odds and overturned a 3 point half time deficit to get the better of  a fancied Lissycasey side in Round 3 of the 2018 Clare Senior Football Championship, which was played in Gurteen on Saturday September 15th.

Despite playing with the advantage of a swirling wind in the first half, Corofin were forced to play second best to Lissycasey for much of the opening 30 minutes. Damian Ryan registered the games opening score with a pointed free for Corofin after 5 minutes. Conor Finnucane levelled matters for Lissycasey, only for Jamie Malone to put Corofin back in fromt with his first point. Lissycasey then hit a purple patch and scored 4 points without reply through Conor and Enda Finnucane, Niall Kelly (free) and Matt O'Shea. Gearóid Cahill did stop the rot with his sides third point, but Lissycasey raised the final white flag of the first half with Niall Kelly pointing his second free of the game. Half-Time score: Lissycasey 0-6 Corofin 0-3.

When Francis Hayes pointed for Lissycasey within 10 seconds of the restart to give his side a four point advantage and the wind at their backs, the momentum seemed to be with the team in maroon and white. Corofin however had other ideas, and points from John Keane and Jamie Malone cut the deficit in half. Hayes extended Lissycasey's lead back out to three with his second point, only for Damian Ryan to reply in kind to keep Corofin in touch. Hayes then put over his third point of the game but once again Ryan responded with a like score for Corofin. The next score of the game saw Corofin re-take the lead which they would not relinquish, when Eoin Davoren got on to the end of a loose ball bobbing around the square to finish to the net. Moments later Lissycasey raided up the field and were thwarted an almost certain goal by a fine save from veteran Corofin net-minder Kieran Carkill. By now the tempo of the game had soared with Corofin now beginning to up the ante with their superior fitness beginning to show. A second point from Gearóid  Cahill gave Corofin a two point advantage, and when Jamie Malone capitalised on a Lissycasey defensive error to score his sides second goal, Corofin were now very much in the driving seat. Malone added to his scoring tally with his third point to put 2 clear goals between the sides. Time was now running out for Lissycasey, and while they did manage to raise a green flag via an injury time penalty, it was too little too late and Corofin held on for a famous victory. Full-Time score: Corofin 2-9 Lissycasey 1-9.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Kieran Carkill 

2. John Rees

3. Eoin Clancy

4. Brendan Keane  

5. Fergus Killeen 

6. Damien O'Loughlin  

7. Shay Malone

8. John Keane  0-1        

9. Fionn Clancy  

10. Damian Ryan  0-3 (0-3 frees)          

11. Cillian Clancy 

12. Jamie Malone  1-3     

13. Eoin Davoren  1-0  

14. Gearóid Cahill  0-2  

15. Seán O'Brien    

Gearóid Kelly       for   Seán O'Brien (Black Card)
Diarmaid Cleary   for   John Rees (Black Card)