Kilmurry Ibrickane halt Corofin's run in Senior Football Championship

posted 1 Oct 2018, 11:33 by Brian Gillespie   [ updated 1 Oct 2018, 13:53 ]

Senior Football Championship, Quarter Final

Kilmurry Ibrickane 3-12  Corofin 0-10     

September 30th, 2018

Corofin were forced to play second best to reigning champions Kilmurry Ibrickane in the Quarter Final of the 2018 Clare Senior Football Championship, which was played in Cusack Park on Sunday, Saturday September 30th.

Corofin took the game to their opponents from the off and led by 0-5 to 0-2 mid way through the first half. Jamie Malone opened the scoring with a point from play after just 2 minutes. Points from Keelan Sexton and Michael Hogan put Kilmurry Ibrickane in front, but Corofin then began to dominate proceedings and four points without reply from Damian Ryan (free), Gearóid Cahill and Malone (2) gave the team in red and white a three point advantage. However Corofin's lead didn't last for long as Kilmurry began to find their rhythm. Sexton scored his second point, before a Dermot Coughlan goal gave the champions a lead which they would not relinquish for the remainder of the game. Further points followed from Hogan and Sexton, before Jamie Malone stopped the rot when he scored Corofin's sixth point after his goal bound shot was deflected over the bar by Kilmurry keeper Ian McInerney. There was now just two points between the sides, but a goal and a point from Mark McCarthy gave Kilmurry a two goal cushion at the interval - a cruel blow for Corofin with the goal coming from virtually the last kick of the first half. Half-Time score: Kilmurry Ibrickane 2-6 Corofin 0-6.

Kilmurry continued their good form at the start of the second half, with Keelan Sexton pointing after just 30 seconds. This was quickly followed by a goal and a point from Dermot Coughlan to give Kilmurry a commanding 3-8 to 0-6 advantage. Corofin kept up the fight with a brace of pointed frees from Gearóid Cahill - the latter being a booming free from distance which curled perfectly in the wind. Kilmurry responded with three successive points to reassert their dominance. Damien O'Loughlin raided up from his centre-back position to pull a point back, but it was goals which Corofin required that never seemed like coming. The result was not in doubt as the game entered its concluding stages with Sexton and Cahill trading points in the final minutes. Full-Time score: Kilmurry Ibrickane 3-12 Corofin 0-10.

As Kilmurry march on to the semi-finals in their quest for 3 in a row, Corofin can look back on their 2018 campaign with a lot of positives. Promotion back to Division 2 of the League was achieved, while reaching the Quarter Finals and thereby avoiding the dreaded 5 team drop to Intermediate can be rightly regarded as real progress. For many of the players, the season is far from over, with an Intermediate Hurling Semi-Final against neighbours Tubber scheduled for this Sunday (Oct 7th) in Sixmilebridge. The journey continues.....

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Kieran Carkill 

2. John Rees

3. Eoin Clancy

4. Brendan Keane  

5. Fergus Killeen 

6. Damien O'Loughlin  0-1  

7. Shay Malone

8. John Keane    

9. Fionn Clancy  

10. Damian Ryan  0-1 (0-1 free)          

11. Cillian Clancy 

12. Jamie Malone  0-4     

13. Eoin Davoren  

14. Gearóid Cahill  0-4 (0-2 frees)  

15. Seán O'Brien    

Gearóid Kelly       for   Seán O'Brien
Cilléin Mullins       for   Cillian Clancy
Enda Collins         for   Eoin Davoren
Diarmaid Cleary   for   Fergus Killeen
Liam McGrath      for   Shay Malone