Intermediate Hurlers clear Quarter Final Hurdle

posted 24 Sept 2018, 09:09 by Brian Gillespie   [ updated 24 Sept 2018, 11:40 ]

Intermediate Hurling Championship, Quarter Final

Corofin 3-14  Parteen 0-18    

September 22nd, 2018

Corofin overturned a 6 point deficit mid-way through the second half to emerge 5 point victors over a strong Parteen side in the Quarter Final of the 2018 Clare Intermediate Hurling Championship, which was played in Newmarket, on Saturday September 22nd.

Corofin were first to settle into the game with Eoin Davoren pointing after 3 minutes, with points quickly following from Fergus Killeen and Gearóid Cahill (free). Parteen then  registered their first point but only after their goal bound shot was repelled by Corofin goalkeeper Darren Malone. Corofin's response was instant, with a storming run through the middle by Jamie Malone ending with the county footballer putting over his sides fourth point. Parteen however would keep Corofin in their sights, and three points without reply from the East Clare side levelled the game at 4 points a piece. A fine point from distance from Jamie Malone edged Corofin back in front, but a pointed free for Parteen levelled matters once again. Gearóid Cahill then scored his sides sixth point before a brace of Parteen points put the team in blue ahead on the score board for the first time in the game. Points from Cahill (free) and Davoren put Corofin back in front, but Parteen registered the last score of the game as a pointed free saw the teams deadlocked when the half-time whistle blew. Half-Time score: Corofin 0-8 Parteen 0-8.

If Corofin were quick off the mark in the first half, it was Parteen's turn to seize control at the start of the second half, as they raced into the lead with 4 rapid fire points inside the opening three minutes. Gearóid Kelly stopped the rot with his first point and when Gearóid Cahill pointed a '65 the gap was reduced to just 2 points. However Parteen upped the ante once again and went on another mini scoring blitz with a further 4 points without reply to give them a commanding 6 point lead at 0-16 to 0-10. However, Corofin's never say die attitude then came to the fore with Gearóid Cahill beginning the comeback with a brace of points. When Gearóid Kelly got through to blast to the net, the momentum was beginning to turn in Corofin's favour. Kelly followed up on his goal with his second point to level the game once more at 1-13 to 0-16. The lead was doubled just moments later with Cahill raising his sides second green flag. Two points in quick succession gave Parteen a glimmer of hope as the margin was reduced to four, but as has been the case in previous weeks, Corofin finished the stronger and a third goal from Kevin Heagney put the result beyond doubt, with chief marksman Cahill landing the last score of the game with his seventh point. Full-Time score: Corofin 3-14 Parteen 0-18.

Corofin will now play near neighbours Tubber in Semi Final on the weekend of October 6th/7th, but the next game in Corofin's hectic Championship schedule involves the big ball as the Senior Footballers take on reigning Champions Kilmurry Ibrickane in a Quarter Final tie scheduled for this Sunday (Sep 30th) in Cusack Park.

The following was the Corofin team line-out and scorers:

1. Darren Malone 

2. Martin Tierney

3. Donnchadh Kelleher

4. Damien O'Loughlin

5. Fergus Killeen   0-1

6. Cian O'Dea   

7. Damian Ryan

8. Gearóid Kelly  1-2       

9. Fionn Clancy  

10. Eoin Davoren  0-2       

11. Jamie Malone  0-2   

12. Eoin Clancy

13. Stephen Heagney  

14. Gearóid Cahill  1-7 (0-4 frees)    

15. Killian Neylon  

Kevin Heagney  1-0   for   Killian Neylon
Michael Kelly             for   Stephen Heagney